Tuesday, October 12, 2010

...preserving a culture...

on saturday i had an assignment to cover a native american pow wow. at the very last minute i threw an audio recorder in my bag, thinking i would at least get some drum circle action.

as soon as i got out of my car, i found dennis nevagaya getting ready for the dance competition. he graciously allowed me to photograph him and did a quick interview while getting dressed. the audio isn't the best as you can hear wind and some of dennis' attire jingling...but considering this was not only a spur of the moment decision but also my first attempt to put a project like this together...i'm pretty proud of it.

this annual pow wow (held at cal state san bernardino) is a beautiful event. saturday was my second time attending but my first for work. i shot hockey later in the evening. made for a great work day!

No comments: